Friday, April 3, 2015

Women's Lib? Ha!

I'm not an expert on anything, honestly. But I am very opinionated. I would like to believe that I was raised a certain way, and I also believe that my beliefs NOW differ slightly in some ways. I've been accused of being selfish in the past when I want to have a "girls night out" (once or twice a month). And it infurated me. I've been told to get my priorities straight and "think of how your husband feels." That leaves me bewildered.

A friend (currently in her 4th month of pregnancy) recently was having some issues with her husband and people keep telling her to be patient. That, of course, infurated her. She said to me, "I can see why it would upset you when people tell you to be a better wife. LOL. Why do people get to act like idiots and it's everyone else's fault but theirs??" My answer turned into a rant. Please excuse the language:

Because people like to think about the way things “used to be”. Well now, in the 21st Century, it’s not about the husband going to work and the wife keeping house and raising kids. That life doesn’t exist. For some people it does, but it’s not realistic. The idea of women doing anything else but raise children used to be unheard of. Now, we have more women working than men probably (not sure on that statistic).

 But NOW, since we work all day too, why would we NOT expect our husbands to keep house and raise our children? Turn-about is fair play, is it not? Why shouldn’t it be? I don’t fucking care if I can vote. I don’t care if a man makes more money than I do. I care that my husband, my partner, is expected to be MY PARTNER. They are OUR children. It is OUR house. You don’t want to/can't work? Well, then you get to keep house. It’s that simple. If we both worked, we would be expected to split more responsibilities.

And no one batted an eye back in the day when men went to “gentleman clubs” or bowling leagues or moose lodges, or played sports with their friends or went out for a drink after work. It was expected to be the norm. WHY NOT FOR US? My mom KNOWS what it is like to be oppressed by her husband who won’t work. She was just brainwashed for so many years that “women have a place” and I don’t buy into that bullshit. My place is wherever the fuck I choose it to be.

 Yes, that’s a rant. I don’t care. You work hard. You own a freaking house. You are currently creating a child. Bringing life into the world. Can your husband do that? NOPE. He couldn’t own a home on his own. He BARELY owns a car. He couldn’t create a child. He is absolutely expected to pick up slack when you cannot…even if the reason is that you are too tired. Ridiculous. Just ridiculous.
 
Her response was golden. We are friends for a reason. LOL. She replied: *slow clap*

And there, my friends, is a glimpse into the way my brain works. Not to be rude, but I don't care who agrees with me. It is MY opinion. We're all entitled to have one of our own. I hope you stick around though. There's so much more that goes along with it. XOXO

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree. Equal effort when it comes to raising kids, keeping up the home, and bringing in the money.

    ReplyDelete